Thursday, February 24, 2005

Trust

Fragile
Fleeting
Precarious...
What trust can mean
Is boundless.
Trust itself
is always limited.
So many facets…
Trust not to lie
is one thing.
Trust to tell all
is another.
Trust not to say
too much,
different still.
Trust to be told
how much
is too much?
Rare indeed.
As one slow to trust
I divvy out little.
As one who doesn’t lie,
I’m used to trust back.
I trust no one
to be on my side.
I trusted my ex,
but the “ex”
shows the outcome.
I trust in only
one thing, with people.
I trust I will be hurt.
I trust that I
will be judged,
heartbroken,
and confused
every time
that I dare to trust.
But you can trust
in this;
I forgive better
than I trust.
And if you can forgive,
I can be trusted.


Disclaimer: If you think this is about you, it probably isn't. If you assume it isn't, it probably is. It applies to the world, but was written for no one in it. A friend asked me recently, do you trust me? I couldn't help but think, which trust? Trust not to lie... ya got that one. But there are so many kinds of trust, I hardly knew how to answer.

I dole out trust very sparingly, and yet some of it always comes back to me broken.

So, perhaps trust is over-rated. Compassion may be a better thing. If you have compassion for others, you will do your best to hurt no one. If you have compassion for others, you will have mercy on those who trespass foolishly. If you have compassion for yourself, you will not set yourself up by trusting.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home