Friday, March 11, 2005

Broke

A voice from long ago
softly resonates
as time takes another loop.
But these ears
do not hear things
the same way anymore.
These eyes are too tired
to look to you.
My hopeful gaze is spent.
I’ve given my heart away
until disheartened.
I have nothing left to give.
I’ve offered myself
in gifts, tied up with hope
with devotion, with love.
What balance remains
is tangled up
in uncashed checks,
non-negotiable,
non-transferable.
My hands would give
but my heart is bankrupt.

4 Comments:

Blogger shinanos said...

It's been so long since I posted yr site, Kat! Google doesn't work well yesterday!! Everyone said. :)

9:34 PM  
Blogger RahX said...

Wooo HOO its fixed.

I loved this poem and I've been tryingto say that for like.....long time!

9:35 PM  
Blogger Anonymous Poet said...

OK, this IS a bit heavy . . . . no doubting that.

10:32 AM  
Blogger TwistedNoggin said...

Well, I suppose that eventually I will be able to tear up those uncashed checks and refigure the value of them into my account.

I forget what Indiana state law says about how long you have to wait before you can declare an uncashed check as no longer valid and redeemable. It might be a year?

2:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home