Saturday, March 26, 2005

Citizen Cope

So.... I went to see Cope in concert last night. Good show, overall. It started rather late so I was kicking myself for not having brought in a book. Reading a book in a bar may seem a bit odd, but then it wouldn't be the first time I did it. Warning: This review has more strays off topic than actual relavent info.

Opening act: Abdel Wright
This guy was popular the minute he spoke. Everybody loves a Jamaican accent. He sported a Che Guevera shirt, as well. Tangent: I wrote a song about Ernesto once, but I lost it. Good thing, really.... I can't write songs. Book reccomendation of the day- Companero (about the life of Guevera). Ok, tangent over :) I really enjoyed his music. The lyrics were thought-provoking without trying too hard. It all felt sincere/real/honest. The songs were broken up with enough interesting changes to not be too predictable. A lot of reggae-type-tunes are very redundant and predictable, but there was some movements or shifts in the styles throughout his songs that I really liked. I enjoyed the songs and loved his performance of them.

The audience at Headliners is always pretty receptive to new artists. Part of this has to do with being a venue vavored by WFPK listeners. In fact, they mentioned FPK and the crowd cheered, me especially. The lady behind me asked if I was from Louisville, which I basically am. When I said yes, she asked how I knew about FPK, then. "Because I'm a nerd" I answered. She said "How do you define nerd?" and I said "Well, I find physics books exciting. I read comic books, watch sci-fi movies, and read books at parties". "Yep, you're a nerd" she said.

Anyway... so with a strong FPK crowd, you get an audience that judges music by its own intrinsic value, not by how many times it's been force-fed to them by popular radio. --hmm... I could write a whole article about that and some stories that relate, but I digress (as usual).
Abdel's guitar went silent after a couple songs. Bad cable or water spilt in something. The man kept singing. He sang without accompanyment and the crowd cheered him on. He has a voice that is well worth listening to, with or without the distraction of instruments. He put energy and charisma into it, not letting the circumstances throw him a bit. I'm sure that everyone there will be pushing his cd on all their friends, as will I. I had Jim play Abdel's CD at the local Coffee shop today. I think he liked it, though the guy was much better live. He really sang his heart out once the guitar went dead. I may burn myself a copy and give Jim the original CD so he can tell his patrons about it.

The headliner at headliners: Cope
He took so long to show up that I wanted to storm backstage, grab him by the ear and say "Get your butt out there, Clarence. You're being rude!". Shame on you, Cope! But I'd waited far too long to get kicked out then. When he did get up on stage, he gave us a terrific show. I can't imagine having my artwork thrust in front of such a crowd under all those blinding lights, and my artforms do not require performing on the spot. (Well, except singing, but that's easy. I don't write songs or play anything). I really enjoyed it. I still don't understand why everyone always screams for the song Hurricane Waters. It is a nice song, but I like pretty much every other song he's done better.

The show was terrific. The band was great. I didn't scream "bass solo" as loud as usual, though. It was a laid-back show. I wasn't going to get some Wooten/Claypool/Martin/Flea bass experience. If he'd busted out into some Pastorius or (as I would want) some sort of super-funk jam, the mellow show-goers would have mutinied. Somehow, much of the intimacy of a one-man accoustic gig was still there, no doubt because of Cope's sincere, warm, relaxed, personal-sounding vocals and the approachable style of the music. But, the band definately had some strength and kicked the energy up a few levels from the accoustic gig I saw in December. They were terrific. I took my hat off at one point (it's wool, so it was getting stuffy) and the drummer signaled me to toss it, so I did. He wore it for the rest of the set. Unfortunately, I think it looked much cooler on him than on me.

My friend, Ghost, was with me and I beleive he had a good time as well, and bars are not even his element. But, it was just a great show and we were fortunate enough to be right up by the stage. Some nice looking chick was hittin' on him too. You should-a got her number, Ghost! Ehh... Can't blame ya. I'd never go out with a stranger from a bar either.

This "review" is no doubt sloppy, so I may come back and edit it. Right now, though, I have to run. I have 20 minutes to clean up and get ready for a friend's wedding - yikes!

oh, and in other news of the day: Brandi is trying to talk me into joining her boxing class. Oh, such temptation! This isn't one of those kick-boxing for exersize deals. It's serious training in actual boxing. The rest of the class is all-male, but there are some professional boxers there who are women. I want to join up so very badly, but it's $150, plus training 3 days a week. I desperately need the exersize to help me sleep. Plus, the tension release would be great. Brings back memories of taking turns slugging the heavy bag and drinking Guinness back when I lived with Brandi. It'd suck to get my nose broken or something, though. I may not care much about clothes, make-up, and prissy $#!t, but I'm still a chick and have some vanity. I can imagine explaining to a date that my ugly busted-up face was a result of a boxing match. :) Then again, I'd probably be so exited about boxing I'd wear my gloves to dinner with my little black dress. :P ta he he he

2 Comments:

Blogger RahX said...

Ahhh love a good concert. I'm going to go check out one of my favorite local band "The Big Wu" friday. Can't wait for that. In fact, I'm going to rant about it BEFORE and AFTER the show :P

Just wait till harvestfest, I'll rant for pages and pages.

7:00 PM  
Blogger The Grey Ghost said...

My friend, Ghost, was with me and I beleive he had a good time as well, and bars are not even his element. But, it was just a great show and we were fortunate enough to be right up by the stage. Some nice looking chick was hittin' on him too. You should-a got her number, Ghost! Ehh... Can't blame ya. I'd never go out with a stranger from a bar either.

Wasn't interested. Not at all interested in relationships, anyway.

Awesome show, though. Much better than the December one.

10:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home