Sunday, March 13, 2005

Defiance

(another repost from the old greymatter)

I toe a line
in the rubble at my feet,
remnants of a life I built,
a life since razed by man's fear and vanity.
The smoke long settled,
my wounds mended,
with iron eyes I taunt you, life.
You've killed many of my loved ones,
took my children, born and unborn;
made my own loves betray me...
You've scarred my body deeply,
battered my mind with heavy blows.
So what.
I laugh at you.
Give me your best shot.
These strong legs will not give way.
This metal spine will bear your blows.
These hands will build.
These arms will defy you.
Look into my steely eyes
and know I will not be beaten.

2 Comments:

Blogger Andy N. said...

I question the wisdom of this one, Ms Noggin. Defying 'life' is akin to taunting YHVH - "just when you think it can't get any worse..." From what I see, it's more a matter of submitting to His will rather than claiming our own; of being thrown into the furnace of life that what is imperfect is burned away, not that we deck ourselves out in asbestos that we can shelter 'our self'.

7:25 AM  
Blogger TwistedNoggin said...

Life is a vague/flexible term, especially in the context of symbalism and poetry. This is just about me not giving up. I would not taunt God. I would not Taunt anti-god. If anything, I'm staring my own misfortunes in the eye and saying "back down, you bitch" (life's a bitch,they say) and making the concious choice to keep struggling, building, fighting, instead of just curling up to die.

9:17 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home