Wednesday, March 09, 2005

I went to see Taylor Mali tonight. He had me laughing so hard it hurt, so hard I wanted him to stop becuase I couldn't breathe. It was great.
He hit on plenty of subjects I related to. He did the same for others. I could tell by how they turned to their friends with a nudge or a gesture. I smiled. I finally decided against teaching for a living, but I still tend to relate to teachers (he taught 8th grade, apparently).
The wig poem made me want to write about seeing my mom's wig on the couch, like a severed head... awkward as a long silence on a first date. It made her head hot, so she'd often just lay it there. I thought about the times I took that symbal of impending death and put it on my head, doing my best mom imitation, teasing some life into her face.
The proofreading poem was SO me. If I had friends there, I would have nudged and gestured too. Instead I just laughed. I always laugh. I may not have anyone to nudge, but I can always laugh.
He was great. I bought his CD. Shouldn't have. I needed that $10, but oh well.
Check him out, everyone. Great poet.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home