Sunday, April 03, 2005

idle ramblings from the past

What man would dare
ask me to be his?
Let’s skip the strut and show,
The wooing and sweet-talking,
And get right to the cold storm
Where I expect us to look out for each other
and, instead, I find you hiding behind a rock
begging Odin to take the girl instead.
Men… cowards.
Humanity is a quivering mass
of self-serving liars and fools.
I know about love.
I have lived love
more beautiful than we all
dreamed love could be.
I have known passion,
felt its worshiping touch.
I have seen the gaze
of eyes looking upon me
as if my breathing gave him life.
I have seen love, pure and perfect,
but when fear and life
came threatening, in toothless barks,
Love cowered
and threw me to the wolves.
I would have wrestled Galaxus for him…
For those before him.
But, I was not worth so much
as the imagined risk
in just admitting I was worth loving.
Always the outpouring of sweet promises,
always the words, the looks, the kisses,
and then always the spineless retreat.
Even the warmest love
I have ever felt, turned to show me
it’s frozen shoulders.
How dare you ask me to try again.
How dare you act as if,
you would stand up for me,
not disappear, not turn on me.
Of course you seem warm
with your arms stretched out to catch me,
but if I try to stand beside you
will I not just find
your shoulder is as cold as all the rest?

8 Comments:

Blogger Anonymous Poet said...

Again, . . . haunting, like so much of what you write.

Re: Let’s skip the strut and show, The wooing and sweet-talking . . . . I thought the wooing was the best part!?!?! Per your earlier post and my response. But I do like the bit about looking out for each other.

Also, nice use of Odin in a poem. Most mortals can't pull that off. Will you write one with Loki someday?

9:37 PM  
Blogger Anonymous Poet said...

By the way, do you really play guitar, too, per the picture? Just wondering.

9:46 PM  
Blogger Anonymous Poet said...

Oh yeah, another question. Is there any particular reason for the name change? Or did you just need a change of pace?

9:47 PM  
Blogger Sara said...

You know, if you could just stop writing the way I feel, I might be able to run a blog. ;)
This post carried me. It speaks volumes straight out of my own experience and feelings. Well done.

12:07 PM  
Blogger TwistedNoggin said...

Who said I was mortal?
That's a bass, actually, and no. I was trying to learn. I love bass. But, I was so busy with school and work and everything that I decided I needed to think about keeping my job, writing, drawing, etc... before I made time to learn an instrument. Someday, though.... This was just the only pic I had that looked ok sliced into banner size. I'll replace it when I have something more appropriate.
I changed the name to make it go better with greymattermeltingpot.

I'm glad you liked it, Journey. That's how I always feel about your posts. Perhaps we've known some of the same men. Or maybe it's just that 90% of all humankind (if not more) are spineless.

12:14 PM  
Blogger shinanos said...

OH Kat san, look so great!! Beautiful new banner again + nice links :D - Cool!!! And you seem really busy and creative now, really wonderful.

8:58 PM  
Blogger Hope Happens said...

I was going to come to the defence of men in response to

"Perhaps we've known some of the same men. Or maybe it's just that 90% of all humankind (if not more) are spineless."

But then I thought 'Oh god she's right. So many of us are spineless dumbasses'

I've come across enough of them that when my daughter is older I may have to give her the :

"Listen to daddy when he says be wary of men. Most of them are spineless dumb scumbags. But there are some good guys out there .....toruble is findign them"

speech!

5:48 PM  
Blogger Andy N. said...

I've been telling my girls since they were little: "guys are jerks". I should know, i've been a jerk from time to time. unfortunately, many women are also. Add to that that love is blind. I know that from experiance too, so between the both of these, hearts are guaranteed to be shredded, at the least, and spirits as well.

"so it goes".

12:21 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home