Thursday, May 12, 2005

Marketers these days....

I ordered some pants from Delias recently. Yeah, they're geared towards pre-teen girls, but they have tall-size pants and their clearance prices rock. I've also been told that these pants make my rear look hot. (I may be a nerd, but insecurity still fuels some vanity)

So, they sent me this free book sampler. They are pushing this line of books made especially for young girls. The intro was saying how they had this cool new line of books just for you! They were all about these totally awesome girls that you wish would be your best friends, but you'd settle for reading about them. I laughed, and figured I'd pass it on to my 11-yr old neice.

Then, I read some of the book exerps in the add. I flipped through, and the phrase "He's so fucking hot!" caught my eye. The F-bomb? They're dropping the F-bomb on pre-teen eyeballs? :O
As if that weren't enough, there was a section where this young girl was deciding to loose her virginity with this boy becuase he was popular. She said that, of course, most girls wont even remember who they lost their virginity too once they get older, but she figured if it was this popular boy, then she'd remember.
:O
?
Ok, if you can't remember who you lost your virginity too, you have some SERIOUS problems, including probably every STD in the book, but mainly I'm thinking of a TOTAL lack of any moral sense whatsoever.

Oh, but of course, who remembers who they lost their virginity too, right? After all... it doesn't really matter as long as he's "fucking hot".
-eeee I'm disgusted and offended. I need to write Delias and see if they know what trash they are slipping young girls in the mail.
I'm not into censorship, but this stuff is being delivered unsolicited to young girls all over the US, without their parent's consent. That is just wrong.

2 Comments:

Blogger Spider in a Mason Jar said...

I know what you mean. Seems like there's a plethora of things out there trying to "cheapen" (for lack of a better word) young girls. The Bratz line of dolls also comes into mind, as well as those thong underwear with "Eye candy" written on the front that were released by Abercrombie & Fitch (and marketed towards 11-13 year old girls). Friggin' disgusting. I used to think that I was an overzealous little punk back in high school for my aversion to popular brand names, but I am now reminded of one of the reasons as to why I was so extreme back in the day. And folks-- who I'd say mean well but have their aim a bit cock-eyed-- are too busy cracking down on Spongebob and Harry Potter based on theories, over-analysis, and pure hear-say while this severe sort of stuff too often slips under the radar.
I'll step off of my soap box now.

5:35 AM  
Blogger RahX said...

Oh my....bratz make me want to destroy modern society with a single blow.

Back on the soap box w/ you!

12:31 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home