Monday, May 02, 2005

Not really a poem - just uneditted rambling. Sorry for the slop, but I have a paper to write.

I see her stubborn mind
chomp down on anger, hurt,
on distrust and confusion.
I see her forming her own answers.
Who knows what story
she has envisioned
to explain the uncle
who vanished last year
without a single goodbye.
Who knows what evil
she imagines of me.
But if I tried to dispel
her illusions of the perfect uncle,
then I would be evil.
And how can I defame the man
I'd have given anything to keep?
So, I just told her two truths:
He’s a good man.
I miss him too.
And she cried on my lap.
I silently cursed
every influence in her life
that taught her not to tell me
how she felt about it all.
I wanted to undo
those destructive lessons
that would so lock her sorrows
inside her tiny 10 year old frame.
I see her simmering
the bitter broth
of her private thoughts
and can do nothing
but smile, hug,
and pray she never
has the experiences
that would help her understand.

3 Comments:

Blogger Anonymous Poet said...

So sad. : (

10:02 PM  
Blogger shinanos said...

Oh, yes...so hard.
It reminds me of my cousin Yukky's dark story in the past, just like "she" in this poem - her dad deceived her and the family. He's good but just a pimp, but I also couldn't say it to her. Now she's strong enough to declare, "I don't need my dad, I'm happy without him" - though.

10:46 PM  
Blogger TwistedNoggin said...

My ex is no pimp, he's a good guy, but if I explained the problems we had it would sound like I was putting him down. This would hurt her, because she loved him and trusted in our respect of eachother. She would feel torn between us.
I feel like he should have seen her after the split-up, for her sake, lest she end up with the same abandonment issues that I deal with. But, I can understand why he wasn't comfortable with that and I won't hold it against him. After all, he is a good guy, I'm just not what he wanted.

I worry that a certain member of my family will convey the erroneous concept to her that I was not committed, since that person has displayed that faulty thinking already. That's funny, almost, since I stayed with my first husband when he abused me and only moved out when he kicked me out. My second husband didn't kick me out, I just couldn't handle looking into the eyes of the love of my life and seeing nothing but disdain for everything I am and everything I stand for. If he had been a bad man, it would not have been so hard. But, he was a good man and my presence "made him miserable", as he plainly stated. How could I possibly stay in that situation? I tried, but after a while I couldn't take it anymore.
So, I held my precious neice while she cried and just told her I was sorry, secretly feeling I was not good enough to keep her uncle for her.
That is probably too personal and detailed for my blog, but then I guess that is why I call this my greymatterplatter... my noggin on a silver platter, for whatever that's worth.

11:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home