Friday, May 27, 2005

Real Poetry (Don't you hate such vague terms?)

As you can hopefully tell by my poems, I like real poetry, anything that feels real to me.
Whether that means imagery with all the dust and coffee-mug rings (not everything pristine and pretty), just a sense of verisimilitude, or something very honest - I just want it to feel "real". I also enjoy creative, stylized phrasing and such. There are plenty of sites that will list the "Great Poets", but I can get that from a literature text-book. I've read very little poetry, altough I've been writing it by the metric ton lately. Can anyone suggest poets I might enjoy?

Thanks :)

7 Comments:

Blogger Anonymous Poet said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

10:35 PM  
Blogger . : A : . said...

There are several - Pablo Neruda, e e cummings, etc.

You have a nice blog here and a good 'feel' to your poems. Thanks for dropping by and commenting on mine.

3:50 AM  
Blogger Spider in a Mason Jar said...

Personally, I have always enjoyed the poetry of Bill Waterson.

5:39 AM  
Blogger Anonymous Poet said...

"verisimilitude" . . . you must be a poet! A good anthology is "Immortal Poems of the English Language," edited by Oscar Williams.

10:38 AM  
Blogger RahX said...

I love Robert Hunter myself. Check out, box of rain.

9:29 PM  
Blogger GK said...

Noggin, the poet you need right now is Raymond Carver. Trust me.

When you have digested Carver, it will be time for Li Young-Lee.

When you have digested Young-Lee, it will be time for Sharon Olds.

Take them in this order.

And then you will be a woman ready to love again.

And then possibly it will be time for Pablo Neruda.

4:29 AM  
Blogger iamnasra said...

Well Im not such good reader of poets...But I read Robert Frost and it really touhced me...Maybe to me his style is so simple but remarkable

11:32 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home