Monday, June 20, 2005

Straw-under-nail equivalent for ADD

When you are the text-book example of ADD, there is one form of torture that surpasses all others... boredom.
My IQ is 135, not super-high, not low either. I have a knack for analytical thinking and am creatively inclined. I have self-taught myself enough to do the same job some lawyers and paralegals do. Since the "examiners", as we now call ourselves, have to type our own reports, now, when we examine the files/records, I spend the majority of my time typing.
I have been reduced to a friggin typist. There's nothing wrong with typing for a living. If you do it, I bow to your attention span and tireless wrists. But, I'm lousy at forcing myself to do things that are so painfully boring.
I opened up another file and it had a two-page legal description. That means I have to copy over two pages worth of "10degrees 5minutes South 500 feet to a point; thence Northerly 29 degrees 18 minutes East to a tree; thence...."
I cried.
Factory work was better than this.
Other people work boring jobs all their lives. Surely I can suck it up and concentrate 8 hours a day like everyone else.
I'm such a wimp. Some people would do anything for a job to put food on the table, but I hate my job because I'm bored out of my noggin. I used to like this job. I used to do more thinking and less typing.
Sorry for the whine-fest, but isn't that what a blog is for?
I wish I could quit, but I need a job with health insurance. Endometriosis, Celiac disease, food allergies, etc... are not big health issues, but they do tend to send one to the doc now and then.

7 Comments:

Blogger Mindy said...

Hi, can you listen to music while you work? I know in some jobs it's just not possible. But when I get to a mindless boring part of my job which is mostly just typing (I'm a software engineer) then I just put my headphones and then all my bored with work problems fade away!

9:02 PM  
Blogger TwistedNoggin said...

Music does help, but I can't put on headphones. I have to help answer phones since this little satelite office has no receptionist - another part of my job that I hate.
There are so many pluses to this job. My office is 2.5 minutes from home. I have my own office, not a cubicle. The people I work with are terrific, for the most part. It's just the tedious mind-numbing boring crap I hate.
I'm grateful for what I have, but I get so bored that I can't concentrate and then my job performance sucks. Then, I end up here for 11 hours and only turn in 8 on my time sheet to keep it fair.

9:08 PM  
Blogger Mindy said...

Well just make sure you've not overestimating how productive other people are! There's probably tons of people who if they were really being accurate would only have worked productively for 6 hours of an "8" hour day! Hehe I know quite a few people like that :-)

Anyway I feel for your situation... seems that the job is great apart from the actually doing the job! I'm sure you won't be there forever, you have too many other talents. Just squeeze all you can out of your free time, and moan about your job whenever necessary :-)

9:34 PM  
Blogger Mindy said...

ps I also remove any clocks from my view... for some reason this really helps me get through my work without being so distracted. I just use little alarms (like on Outlook) to tell me when to go home etc.

9:57 PM  
Blogger A. D. said...

I definitely understand—it gets hard not to just shut down sometimes.

I've done data-entry and worked in a factory before too. The one nice thing about the factory was that when you had a lot work to do, time flew by mindlessly.

2:31 PM  
Blogger stella said...

it's hard to create when your mind feels numb, but i think you're still creating from the looks of your blog!!

we're all in the same boat more or less... :)

p.s. i like the clicking sound of typing for some reason. hang in there!

8:59 PM  
Blogger GK said...

If it's any comfort to you, I'm a lawyer and I draft frighteningly complex derivatives contracts ... but after some time it gets mindlessly boring too.

3:25 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home