Saturday, August 06, 2005

Congratulate me, I am a momma

of one completely featherless baby bird. (uh, anybody want it? Free to good home!)

Oh dear, now what have I gotten myself into? I walked to the car, and there it was, lying on the pavement on it's back. It was helpless, begging for it's mamma. I immediately went inside and kept an eye on it from the window while calling a 24-hour emergency vet. (I don't know if mamma bird could or would save baby, but I knew she wouldn't with some giant human lurking nearby. The vet said baby didn't stand a chance outside, but was not that hard to raise (depending on age, health, injuries, etc...).

Baby bird is now in a plastic box (coverless, duh) with a heating pad on low in the bottom, and a towel on top of that so I don't cook baby. Cooking baby would likely be counterproductive to my life-saving efforts.

- Edit -
Cosa (the baby bird) died. Of all my life-saving efforts, this was my biggest failure. She only lasted a day. She sucked food into her lungs while feeding. Poor Cosa. :(

3 Comments:

Blogger RahX said...

Congrats momma kat! Hope it makes it

10:46 AM  
Blogger Dædalux said...

When I was a kid a saved a baby mouse from my mom's cat once. It had a bad gash and had to be fed via an eyedropper. I spent forever taking care of it's wound and feeding little Mickey. The wound actually started to heal up and Mickey started to become more lively, but on the thrid day I overdosed poor little Mickey by accidently squeezing too much milk into his little mouth at feeding time. I think he drowned.

I nursed him to back to health only to kill him cruely all over again. I secretly cried in my room and later buried him the the yard. Later I decided I must have been like that crazy girl on Animianics (Emma or Emily?) who 'loved' her pets to the point of tourture.

Wow. I'm sorry this story isn't more encouraging. Maybe I should stop. Taking care of strays sucks - especially since you never know exactly what is best or how to do anything.

Best of luck.

3:44 PM  
Blogger TwistedNoggin said...

I saved a mickey once too. While camping, I accidentally killed a mamma mouse not knowing she was under the lumber I was moving around. I took all 4 of her babies home, eyes not open yet, and nursed them with an eye dropper. Icky, Sticky, and Smitty died. They were doing really well, but then their bellies swelled and they died. Mickey lived and was released into the wild (where he was probably eaten by a snake minutes later, but we can hope not).
I tried to save a dehydrated and malnourished runt pup once. I nursed her every couple hours, day and night. She seemed to be improving, but then she died (quite painfully, apparently). I knew her kidneys might already have been too damaged for her to make it long, but I tried. Or, she may have died from the vet giving her a wormer shot that I didn't think she was strong enough for. I loved little Runt.

Anyway... Cosa is dead already. I've never failed so badly trying to save a creature, but I think she sucked food into her tiny lungs. No more baby bird.

10:18 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home