Saturday, September 17, 2005

Ice Cream's Last Stand

Well... I didn't have custard.

I babysat my youngest neice today. We went to the fruitstand and I let her pick out some fruit. We played in the park, watched spongebob videos, etc... She's a fairly easy kid to watch. She's got a sweet, happy disposition. But, the kid will eat nothing but garbage. Feeding her is always a bit of a struggle. I don't beleive in forcing kids to eat what they don't like. I try to learn what they do like and feed them accordingly. For my oldest neice, Tori, it's veggies. She's a vegetarian and she loves her veggies. She eats well. I make her stir-fries or broccoli, often beans and rice (for a complete protien) etc... I've learned which veggies she likes and which prep methods elicit the most eating, although she will force down something she hates to be polite. (what a good girl) For my youngest neice, Stasi, I make pizza. They both love oatmeal for breakfast. But, after several times cooking for stasi I have given up on finding any veggie she will willingly eat, even if it is sliced paper-thin and smothered in cheese. All she really wants in candy and fruit. Fruit is good for you, but it is still sugar and at some point you need something other than sugar.
She picked apart her pizza at lunch and ate almost none if it. I didn't force her but she got no desert. She had watermellon for a snack. At one point she had a banana. For dinner, I served her chicken nuggets, sweet peas, and carrot sticks. I can't beleive I put such junk-food on the table as chicken nuggets with ketchup, but she needed to eat something. She wolfed the nuggets in no time, but enough was enough... she needed to be taught to eat something other than whatever junk she wants. I told her she was not leaving the table until she ate the peas. We sat there through two hours of "I'm sleepy" -"If you finish your peas you can go lay down", "Is there desert?" -"If you finish your peas you can have ice cream", "When is Daddy coming?" -"Soon, and if you finish your peas I can tell him you've been a good girl", etc... etc...
I was not budging. I watched her eyes study me. She'd cry for a second and then, after not getting her way, study me calmly. She wasn't upset, she was just sure that she could get out of it and was trying to figure out which method would do it.
She ate the peas, eventually. I didn't make her eat the carrots. She could eat some of both or all of one or the other veggie. If she were forced to more often she wouldn't fight it so hard, but I'm sure my sister has some method of sneaking nutrition in on the girl. My sister is a good mom and knows a thing or two about nutrition.
So... daddy rescued her, after ice cream, and she got to go home. She usually likes visiting "kiki", as she calls me, and usually asks to come to my house whenever she sees me. Tonight, though, she asked her dad if she could please not go to kiki's house anymore.
Poor kid. She's been traumatized by sweet baby peas. But, it had to be done. As is my policy, I stayed calm and positive, as love should be clear even when one is being firm. I don't get angry and raise my voice or anything. But, she didn't get her way so she's not real happy.

I'm exhausted. She came over at around 7am and just left. Hopefully, she will later remember the good parts of the day instead of the pea standoff. She loves the guest room I have fixed up for the girls, the blanket I made for them, the pop-up tent-like blocks to crawl through, my big toy box, the park, etc... just not the peas. Oh, and she's not real into star-wars, but surely she'll grow out of that.
My sister, brother-in-law, and oldest neice were at the ren fair all day. Tori looked adorable in her fancy period dress. She also got a silver coil that wraps around the length of her ponytail. She seemed really excited about it. She walked in with a cast on her arm. My baby broke her little wrist and no one told me! She didn't seem fased by it at all, though. It must have happened within the last week and half, I guess? Gracious, she's gotten big. She stands to about my shoulders now, and I'm about 5' 11". They grow up so fast.
Anyway... I'm off to vegetate and stare at the TV WITHOUT someone asking "What's he doing now kiki why is he doing that is he stealing the rock is he putting it back why is it glowing is it on fire who is that man is that the bad guy is he going to kill the bad guy (that was indiana jones) and... are those robots the good guys is he all alone why did they turn off the robot look the big ship is eating the little ship is that the bad guy why did he capture the princess what's he doing now where are they taking the robot look that thing is getting closer where are they(star wars)can we watch bob bob quarepants now can I have two peices of candy in my belly my brain itches I need more watermellon....."
Kids... they're annoying sometimes, but (call me a massachist) I love 'em. :)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home