Thursday, September 22, 2005

Kat-gero



My sister's annual theme party is nearly upon us. This year, the theme is spies and assassins. I'm barely teatering on the edge of the rules, but I think Kagero is close enough. She was sent to spy on the bad guys by her master. I guess she was out to assasinate the shogun of the dark. She ended up teamed with a rogue ninja and a government spy.

See... you would think picking a true spy character would be easy for me. Emma Peale was probably my only female role model. But, what fun would it be to dress in black leather pants, tall boots, and some spy-chic zip-front black top or something? I dress like that all the time (although usually not leather, just sometimes). My personal style often borders on hit-woman. I don't want to go to a theme party dressed like I always do. What fun is that? So I'll be Kagero.

I've ordered an inexpensive purple haori from the site linked a couple posts ago (I could wear it as a beach cover-up after the party). My obi is not stark red and white. It has the diamond pattern subtly in the weave, with other decoration embroidered over it, and is in more subtle varrying shades of red/rose, I guess. It's only 6 inches wide, but it was one of the cheapest ones I could find. I'll probably let Tori wear it for play later. I plan on making her a little kimono. I'll have a red jade (or serpentine) carved bead with which to make the headband thing. I'll wear geta sandals and all. I don't think bringing a real katana would be a good idea. Someone might end up playing with it and cutting themselves. I'll probably bring a bokken (a wooden practice sword) instead. Since Kagero used a Shirasaya type katana (simple wood scabbard and handle, rather than eel or ray skin on the handle with chord wrappings) the bokken will look good enough. If I buy a katana (I will eventually), it will be the Shirasaya type, unless I find a real, quality sword that is better but affordable and it only comes in the more common chorded variety. I'd give up some in aesthetics for quality and authenticity.

I may decide against dying my hair. Last time I dyed it dark (with temporary dye) it did not come out all the way and I now have odd blonde roots. I may buy a cheap wig. I may still dye my hair, though. I'm not sure. I'd just go with a really dark brown (blackish in appearance) so it wouldn't look too fake on me.

3 Comments:

Blogger RahX said...

Dye it purple! Why? I dunno.

1:04 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Do you think you can post some photos of the theme party here in the future?

I would love to see them. :)

2:58 PM  
Blogger TwistedNoggin said...

I most certainly will. There are pictures of me (waaaay back in the blog) at the ren party (I was a dragon), at the trailer trash party, and at the super heros and villians party. The dragon costume was the only one, so far, that I was really proud of.

3:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home