Tuesday, October 18, 2005

I See the Light!

Ouch!!!
Normally, “darkness” is supposed to conjure up foreboding images. If you get migraines, however, you know this is backwards. Hell is where the light pierces through every curtain, blanket, and pillow like sonic death rays designed to turn your blood to radioactive shrapnel grinding through your grey-matter. The digital display of an alarm clock, even when turned around to face the wall and covered with a black t-shirt, feels like a copper wire with one end in a 220 outlet and the other stuck in your eyeball.

Believe it or not, there is one good thing about migraines, though. This morning, (LATE this morning) my shower was the greatest shower ever, the water blissfully warm, the shampoo laced with rosemary, sweet vanilla-smelling soap... Every breath, movement, and thought, once free from a migraine, is divine. My muscles ache as if I wrestled a gorilla all night, but the weight of struggling against that beast is off of me now. I’m exhausted, but nearly weightless. When a pain like that is gone, the freedom to not be in agony, even for a minute, is enough to make you giddy with joy.

So, I sit here at work, the monitor brightness down to zero, the contrast at 60%, and still trying to type without looking at the screen. But, I am liberated. For the moment, I am mostly free from a pain worse than broken bones and internal bleeding. Isn’t it great? Ah… yes. Heaven. Ah…
Time to make some tea. :)

5 Comments:

Blogger Ray said...

So, what is your tea of choice?

9:17 AM  
Blogger Anonymous Poet said...

Ouch! I hope you feel better.

8:07 PM  
Blogger Jaxe said...

Hey Twisted. I get horrible migraines too. And I agree with what you say. I swear the day after, I feel like I'm drugged, like I've been injected with some super-hyper power serum. Its like my whole body shut down, hit reset and threw me back to the world.

Migraines are horrible. I remember once breaking my ceiling fan because the noise was too much! I hope you are well!

j

4:25 PM  
Blogger diana christine said...

oh, twisted, how beautiful for you to take hell and show it to us in such rich poetic tones...

i bow to you for such grace, such courage, such vision to put agony in precise beautiful poignant lines...

7:51 PM  
Blogger RahX said...

I've been very fortunate lately, I haven't had a bad migrane in a very long time.

4:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home