Friday, December 23, 2005

Yesterday

I was sickly, swollen, and in pain (food allergies and carpal tunnel) but it was just such a happy day. We had a pitch-in at work and the food was terrific and the company just as good. I couldn't help but think how lucky I am to work with my closest friend, have understanding coworkers, and a fold-out chair/bed in my office so I can sleep off some food allergy exaustion on a break.
Then, I had an email from an old friend, which made my day (even though I thought my day was "made" already, after enjoying such a good day). I was in a bouncingly happy good mood after that. Then, I got to meet up at Richos with Brandi (always fun), and since Stephen works there, I at least got to see him even though he had to work.

Then, while walking through the front room, someone said "Hey!" and I turn to see a total "blast from the past" (sorry for the cliche). It was the guy who was my very first boyfriend (in 7th grade). We remained friends after that, I guess. I was also friends with his older brother and babysat his adorable curly-headed little brother. So, I see Jason, and then realize I know the guy right next to him, Scott. I've only seen him once since highschool. I acknowledge the other guy at the table, but assume I don't know him until Jason says, "You remember Jordan?". OMG! The little curly headed boy I used to babysit was all grown up and drinking beer at Richos! He grew up so sweet and handsome and is majoring in journalism. I wanted to pinch his cheeks, but I controled myself. He's still adorable. I asked him if he still like ketchup on hotdog buns, but with no hotdog, and he said yes. I had to call my sister and tell her they were there. She talked to Jason on my cell.

It was weird to talk to someone who shared some of my past; the people we knew at "church" (we didn't call it church, but that's too big a tangent for now); our parents, buffalo trace park, high school, etc... Jason told me his grandpa died, though. That was sad. He was such an awesome man, sweet as can be. But then, it was nice to share memory of him, since most people in my life now didn't even know me back then.

It was just so awesome. We meet so many people in life and, as you get older, more and more of your life seems to drift off out of reach, almost as if it never happened and the people weren't even real. I've lost a lot of people through the years and have come to really cherish every good contact I make. After all, there are millions of people out there, but a precious few you get close to, really bond with, feel you can trust, or even just share a few memories with. So, yesterday just about made my year.
Now, if only I could eat more of that cake from yesterday WITHOUT getting sick, I'd be in heaven. That, and if Stephen could get off work early tonight so I can spend some time with him. :)

I'm almost afraid to say this, lest lightening strike me or an anvil fall on my head, but life is good.

2 Comments:

Blogger Ray said...

Yeah, life is good. Amy and I just moved into a new house. I got a new job. Thanks to my marriage, I now have a great extended family which includes grandparents, cousins, etc. which I'd never experienced before -- my parents being immigrants. I just got back two hours ago from celebrating Christmas with them in Pennsylvania. It's great to have in-laws you're really excited about visiting. I had to come back early for work, so I'm Amyless until Thursday when she flies back. I had to wait a long time for her, but it was worth the wait. God's timing is always best.

10:47 PM  
Blogger Kathleen Callon said...

Life is good, and you are a talented artist.

1:30 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home