Sunday, January 29, 2006

Nicholas Brothers

I watched a lot of older movies, growing up. I watched the old westerns with my dad and the musicals with my mother. Mom and I were big fans of the Nicholas Brothers. They were amazing. No one compared to them, really. Gregory Hines, an amazing talent himself, once said that if they ever tried to make a movie about the lives of the Nicholas Brothers, the dancing would have to be computer generated because no one alive could do what they did. (that quote is from memory, so the wording may not be exact). I remember watching a documentary about them when I was a teenager. The documentary had said something about the fact that their fame and their film appearances were limited, somewhat, by prejudice in the industry. No one wanted a couple black men showing up Fred Astaire, not in that era. Well, their names may not be known as commonly as Fred Astaire (who admired the brother's talent as well), but those who have seen them dance surely could never forget it. If the industry did try to hold them back, they must have found that a most formidable task. I know I saw them in several movies myself, and I understand they were quite popular at the Cotton Club and abroad. I'm sure anyone with a passion for dance must know their names and appreciate their talent. Harold Passed away in 2000, and now Fayard has passed away, on the 24th of this month.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home