Saturday, January 21, 2006

Pride

(kind of a funny title, after just posting the silly sin and hell thing)

I posted this as a comment on someone else's site, and decided I should copy it here as well.

To take pride in your job means to want the product to be the best, the company to be successful, and you thus work diligently to improve this place you work.

To really take pride in your car, means you maintain it religiously, go over every inch of it always looking for flaws and then remove the bad, then shine, buff, etc... you analyze the sound of the engine and at the slightest irregularity in the hum, you look for problems and change plugs or filters, etc...

However, to take pride in your country means you are supposed to turn a blind eye to anything that needs improvement, let any schmuck who drives it steer it strait for the cliffs, and if a passerby dare says "hey buddy, you might want to steer thattaway a little more" you should spit on him for interfearing.

It simply amazes me that people who claim to have pride in their country usually belie that claim by refusing to see where it could be improved and looking down on those who try to improve it.

These inconsistencies in definition have always boggled my mind.

1 Comments:

Blogger Ray said...

Hmmm...It's certainly possible, but I don't think it's necessarily the case -- or even the norm. Most people I've encountered who take pride in this country will readily admit there are problems and places for improvement. I think this is the greatest country in the world (even though I AM an anglophile too), but, man, is there a lot wrong here. I do think there is often a backlash from people who take pride in this country who perceive others who ONLY seem to down it -- while they enjoy the liberties and benefits of it. Generally, the people who gripe about America the least are immigrants -- such as my parents. They know what worse alternatives exist.

3:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home