Wednesday, March 01, 2006

The traits that mean the most to me in people are the hardest to identify. There is a certain integrity, a certain inner-code, that makes a person try to see things clearly. These people are slow to judge, but just saying nonjudgmental doesn’t describe it. It’s more a matter of trying to see things for what they are, and being aware of the limits of your knowledge. It’s more like an inner metal, forged of compassion, wisdom, humility, intelligence and even a hint of detachment, that creates a certain structure and strength in a person. These people think for themselves and are not swayed by people around them. They see with their own eyes. I guess the label is “strength of character” but that’s a bit vague.

Anyway, I find this very rare in people; barely even existent, and that only in degrees. But, this trait is part of why, as I witness and experience him in life, my respect for Stephen only grows and intensifies. He’s a good man. Loving this man is made up of a lot less simple acceptance than I’m used to, and a lot more respect.

He's so quiet, except for the occassional quip, I wonder how many people walk around him unaware of his greatness.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home