Saturday, June 17, 2006

ADDiction

It has been noted, by many A.D.D. experts, that those with ADD have a predisposition towards addiction. In my own reasoning, I suppose this is the Dopamine-rush & receptor-block crash type of addiction more than the direct chemical variety. In the past two weeks, I have read about 6 books. The last was The Cry of the Halidon. I much enjoyed it.

But, as I've beaten the strongest of my destructive addictions (my love of tasty foods that poison me), I suppose I have the final say in what substances I am enslaved to. My recent candy-fiction (aka, escapist genre writing) binge need come to an end. I may allow myself to indulge on future PMS waves, but I can't read so much all the time. I tend let it comsume me too much.

Next, I need to kick the caffiene habit... again. I also need to cut back, at least, on smoking. I will mark a decline in beer consumption down on my list for a later date, mainly because I think the carbonation plays nasty games with my inards, which are much unacostomed to it, since I drink no sodas.

But, some addictions help curb my cravings for others. I will likely continue to smoke, at least to some small degree, because it helps me quell the cravings for deadlier vices (like bread, wich is much more dangerous for me).

As for beer, since I don't wander around drunk, I don't think it poses much of a threat. I can't reward a hard work day with cheesecake or dinner out or pasta, so I take what I can get. If that is an evening beer or two (gluten-free beer, and with a very low alcohol content), I will accept it as the lessor of evils, for now.

All things in moderation, neh?

As for my strongest addiction, that for Stephen, I hope it never need be "remedied". It is the healthiest addiction I have ever fallen prey to. It is much akin to being addicted to broccoli and vitamins, if ever something so healthy could taste so rich and sweet. Forgive me for sharing with you the cheesy truth. He has given me more than I ever could have understood before now. Thank God for the sweetness of oranges, and the pleasure in things that can give us nothing but health and vitality. I have been with him, now, for over a year and no other man can hold a candle to him. If he can somehow manage not to tire of me, he will always be, for me, the very difinition of every rush and high, as well as every gentle contentment.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home