Monday, June 26, 2006

Harry was extremely skinny when we took him home. His skin kinda sinks in between every bone. We thought maybe he hadn't been eating well at the shelter because he'd been depressed or something. But, he bonded with me VERY quickly, and he seems quite happy in his new home. Still, he barely eats anything at all, except when it comes to grass. He eats a lot of grass. I've been doing a lot of reading, and it seems these are common signs of IBS in dogs, which is a fairly common problem with dogs, now, because of the processed corn nuggets we feed them (whether it be Science Diet or generic kibble).
It's far too soon to jump to conclusions, but it would be rather suiting for a girl with all my health issues and food allerigies to have a dog with special nutrition needs. I'm really hoping that Harry is healthy, and just needs time to adjust, but if he does have diet problems, then I am certain we picked the right dog. Just because I'm the sort of person who will research and work to help him, where most people might not.

I'll put a little extra nutrition in his food (enzymes and barley grass juice powder) and give him lots of love and excersize. If that doesn't cut it, then we will do whatever needs to be done.

A LOT of articles and studies insist that dogs need raw foods in order to be really healthy, but I'm a little hesitant to jump on that bandwagon until I know more, even though it does sound quite logical.

As for the Sheba/Harry story... she doesn't puff up so much when he is around now. In fact, last night she layed down on my lap while Harry was sleeping with his head on my leg. I was amazed she got so close so fast. But, Harry saw her and perked up and backed away, because he is still scared of her, and she freaked at the sudden movement and hissed and ran away. But still, the reduction in comfort-distance between them has progressed far more quickly than I would have dreamed. I dare say they might actually be friends some day.

When there was a large guest cat in our house, he lived on one dining room chair and she let him go no further, ever. Every trip for food or to the litter box was a huge ordeal. It's funny how she is more tolerant of a freindly dog than of a cat. Her own kitten, whom she once cuddled and petted (yes, litterly stroked with her paws) was never tolerable to her once grown. (he died many years ago). Stephen said that it's just like women... competitive with their own kind. Perhaps that's it. What they say about men being like dogs and women like cats is SO very true, most of the time. (although Steve said you'd expect it to be the other way around... because dogs are "bitches" and cats are "pussys" who put up with the "bitches". Pardon the language, but in terms of canine and feline, I gues the terms are acceptable. :)

Now it's time to leave poor little Harry and go back to work. We are swamped an many people were sick today, so it must be done.

Anyway... tune in next time for more on the riveting (only to me) saga of Sheba Samantha R. and Harrison T. Harrier, Esq.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home