Friday, June 02, 2006

Jobs schmobs

When I go to work, I go there to work. That's it. I like to witness the ways of people and I do observe them. I also try to be friendly and, if ever someone seems to feel left out, I try to make a special effort to reach out to them. A job becomes more than a job, though, when there is a real team spirit in the air. Sounds cheesy, but it does make a difference.

For months I hoped that spirit would evolve. It did among a scattered few of us who work late and stay till the job is done. A totally positive spirit - never judging those who go home early (hey, they get in earlier than I do and may work faster for all I know). But, as for the majority... it is all sideways glances and blind biases.

I don't share gossip or badmouth or backstab to get in good with people. I try to earn my part by working hard for the team. But, that isn't worth much to most people. When keyboards chatter in secret IM's, when coworkers glare or roll eyes in my periphial view, I ignore it. When someone seems down or overworked, I try to help.

But... these methods of mine don't fly in the social puppy-meat banquet for canines that is normal social interaction. Common goals and common interests don't unite normal people. They bond best in having someone to gang up on. When one person is ousted, they move their attention to someone else... whichever straggler is enough out of the clique to be fair pickings and not fall under the protection of the pack.

Sad, sad truths...

So... I go about my days. I am friendly and resist frustration and judgment. But, I miss the days when I worked with a team, united by our loyalty to the common goal, our dedication and exhuastion, and our pride in what we accomplished on a daily basis.

But, all I can really do now is trudge on and hope that when this wave passes (and I have been in this company long enough to witness so many waves) that the next one will be a positive one. I also have to hope that my boss is aware that I, of course, am going to do less files in a day than the ones who get the cake files. I think he knows. After all... he gave me the challenging work for a reason. I dig in, learn, and do it.

It's a shame that the atmosphere at work is the way it is. Individually, I find all the people there pleasant and interesting in their own ways. I don't know why they feel the need to form alliances against others. Maybe they have been steeped in too much "vote someone off the island" TV.

*sigh*

Work sucks. jobs suck. But, at least I have a good job, with good insurance, and pitiful but consistant pay. The competitive dribblings of the canibalistic socialites will just have to run off my back for now. This wave will pass. In the mean time, I will do my best to earn my place the honorable way. Any who don't appreciate that can kiss my can.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home