Friday, June 30, 2006

Office Report

There was one girl at work who seemed to just despise me. Even recently it seemed like the more I tried to be polite, the more offense she took. I couldn't really figure out what I had ever done to her, although I did once go on about an awful, dreadful, evil manager we once had right in front of her, not even thinking about the fact that she might take offense because she had been friends with that past manager. That wasn't considerate of me at all, but it didn't even occur to me at the time that it was so rude. When I hear her make cracks, within earshot of me, about a friend of mine who no longer works there, I have to remember that I did the same thing to her. That friend of mine treated some people there in a way I can't quite approve of, too. So, I guess we are even on that score.

Something has changed drasticly, though. She has been very nice to me lately. I realize that women in general often befriend as just part of a strategy, and this girl is one sharp cookie who could probably be one hell of a chess player. But, I refuse to second-guess her motivations. She has made a real effort to be nice, and I am very grateful for that. It makes the work place SO much better. She deserves some team-player points, for certain.

A long time ago, I felt like I had one enemy on the escrow side of our company. Oooo I would get SO mad at her, but I was afraid to tell her off, lest she use my rudeness against me. One day, I finally told her how I felt. Turns out, she is an awesome person who had no idea she was making my life difficult. She's great to work with, now, and I've had the honor of getting to know her a little better recently. She's a total riot, funny and full of personality, and has a heart of gold. She loves dogs, loaned me a crate for Harry, and I get the impression that she is top-notch at her job. Funny how things work out, eh? She's now one of my favorite people there.

My fellow late-workers (Jill, who will spare every minute she can, Billy, who must work 100 hours a week and recently came in on his vacation to help us out, and Brandi, who would work herself to death and just hate herself for dying if any files were left undone) are real motivators. They have a team spirit that just gives you a second wind and then a third, when you thought you were completely out of juice.

So, for the most part, things are great at the Office. You already know my boss is terrific. There is still at least one person that seems to hate a couple of us, but maybe that will change with time. I even tried to make another effort, recently. I get so much energy out of the little rallying emails between me and my team-mates (joking about being swamped, about Jill working with a broken butt, sort of, and formulating game-plans about when we can work, etc... etc...). It makes you feel like you are really part of a team and we all just do what we can, knowing that the rest of the team appreciates it and is there, right along side you. So, I tried including a couple other girls in the emails and she apparently took huge offense. It didn't occur to me that inclusion is only an insult, when you think you are better than those who have the nerve to try and include you. What's odd is, she took it out on someone else instead of me, and I'm the one who started the email. Anyone can misinterpret even the kindest of gestures. It happens. Communication is always subject to some interpretation, although I found her interpretation wildly creative, to say the least. So, although her reaction to it was terribly negative, I thought no less of her for that. I do, however, think less of her for taking it out on whomever she pleased, instead of having the character to say something to me. But, I'm sure she isn't a bad person. Maybe she was just having a bad day. Or maybe she felt bad because she couldn't work the extra hours some of us were, but no one would ever judge her for that. I know nothing about what most of them do after they punch out, and it's none of my business. When Jill has to leave for her responsibilities, we are all just grateful for the effort she put in up to that point, and the girl who took such offense really cranks out orders and has a kid to get home to, so I can't imagine why she should feel threatened by others putting in a few more hours. I admit, I sometimes get angry at myself for not being able to live up to Brandi's workoholic hours, but I'm sure she knows we all do what we can, so I can't imagine being angry at her for it. That's just plain silly.

I'm sure whatever personality clashes are going on are cureable with time. We have an amazing team that I'm proud to be a part of. Every single employee in that plant impresses me on a regular basis. It's energizing to be a part of it, sometimes.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home