Monday, August 07, 2006

I’ve dealt with the pain of seeing someone I love reduce himself to a temporary vegetable state on a regular basis. I’ve dealt with the guilty fear of worrying that I am simply an enabler. And I’ve dealt with the insult of playing 2nd fiddle to a few ounces of liquid blonde bombshell, so to speak. But being publicly treated like I’m some evil bitch for daring to ask him to slow down for a little while, when he’s already cross-eyed and incoherent… Well, I guess enough is enough. Enough shame and pain and coldness. Enough waiting for a guy who listens to the song “try a little tenderness” repeatedly to ever get the freakin point of the song. Enough listening to a super-intelligent man buy into his own ridiculous rationalizations.
So, the line is drawn. It had to be.
But what is on the other side?
And, did I draw this line in stone, or is it overcooked angel-hair pasta again?
I followed my heart, and it led me to a dead end on a one-way road.

3 Comments:

Blogger barenada said...

I have plenty of "Don't worry, be happy" advice that I'll never use. I can send some if it your way if you'd like.

12:25 AM  
Blogger IanBradley said...

I hope these offers of support from a stranger aren't offensive to you.
You brought me a smile once, and laughter. You also brought a friend of mine the same. Now that she's gone I understand what I was laughing at a little more. I wish I had something to say that would make whatever your truth is easier, but all I have is this, as inadequate as the words are, I hope for you.

3:59 AM  
Blogger Carl V. Anderson said...

I commend you for having the courage to do the hard thing eventhough the pain it causes is probably more painful to you than to the other party. As easy as it is to sit on this end and offer platitudes and advice I know that those things are probably the things you already know in your heart. Relationships have to involve two people who are completely committed to one another or no amount of pleasure you receive when things are going well will be worth the pain and destruction caused by years of being with someone who isn't totally involved as well. Its just too hard and both you and he deserve better.

10:51 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home