Thursday, November 09, 2006

I'm drooling in anticipation... ovens are so slow!

I often am grabbed by sudden flashes of inspiration. Sometimes it’s a sculpture I don’t have the tools to make. Sometimes a painting I haven’t the skill to make. Sometimes it’s a song, a book, a dress, etc… Sometimes it’s food. After all, what can be more inspiring than food? J

Today I had a sudden craving for sweet potatoes. Then, that craving spiraled into a more complex craving… cinnamon, mascarpone cheese, almonds… (after all, inspiration is, in my opinion, little more than a complex craving or impulse).

So, I went to the grocery and rushed home to cook. Cooking was put on hold for the one person important enough to make me choose talking on the phone (which I hate) over food (which I love)… my neice called me. Tori always trumps food, even mascarpone cheese.

Anyway… I finally got to it. I made a crust from real butter, tapioca pearls that I roughly ground in the coffee grinder, and a bit of almond meal. Then I blended cooked sweet potatoes with Saigon cinnamon, fresh-ground nutmeg, more butter (can you tell I love butter?), and a bunch of clover honey. I spread that layer over the crust. Then, I blended mascarpone cheese with a healthy dose of almond liqoeur, a bit of cinnamon, and some Stevia liquid for sweetness. It looked so pretty, spreading in fluffy ripples from the mixer blades… ah, food. I love it.

Then, I carefully spread the mascarpone layer over the potato layer and drizzled it with more honey (which I hope will brown into a carmely-glazy top). I topped it with slivered almonds and popped it into the oven.

Cross your fingers and let’s hope it was a good idea. J I can’t wait to taste it.
Now I guess I’d better get to chopping beets. I’m making some venison borscht.

By the way, my apoligies to those of you I need to get in touch with. I can't email from work, and home is usually either a rush to cook and take care of the pets, or just time for crashing. I've been very tired, and was sick over the weekend. I hope everyone is well, though.

1 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

I was very skeptical about using Stevia. I refuse to use artificial sweeteners and was searching for a healthier, natural alternative to sugar. I have researched Stevia and apparently Stevia-based sweeteners have been used in Japan since the 1970s – ever since that country banned artificial sweeteners. To this date, after being used by tens of millions of people for more than 40 years, there has not been a single consumer complaint about Stevia.

I have been using the Sweetleaf brand for several months now and absolutely love it! You can now purchase it at any Whole Foods store.

SweetLeaf can be used in hot drinks, cold drinks, is great on cereal, brings out the delicious flavors in fruits, can be used in cooking and baking, makes great-tasting desserts and is incredible in smoothies and blended drinks.

4:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home