Tuesday, August 30, 2005

Citizen Cope - Clarence Greenwood - Louisville

Well, he's comin' to town again. I'm debating seeing the show or not. I really enjoy his music, but the last time I saw him the doors opened at 8 and he took the stage some time well after 11, if memory serves. He appeared stoned or drunk stiff, as well.

I don't beleive we have a right to pry into artists personal lives and so I don't much care what he does on his own time, but I supported him when he came into town and played at a tiny bar in Louisville. I emailed a bigger local venue pushing his name and saying he'd be sure to pack a crowd there, and I emailed his promoters to let them know they'd likely do well at that venue. I also suggested playing 'live lunch', but don't know if they did that. I pushed his CD on friends and coworkers and tried to encourage others to check out the gig with me. I also let his drummer wear my hat. (drummer seemed pretty cool, incidentally - good band).

No, I don't think I deserve a cookie for this. I'm certainly no super-fan. I don't read articles about the dude or know his story or frequent his forum (checked it out a long time ago and got bored). But, I try to support up-and-coming artists as well as made-it-but-not-huge-yet artists. I paid hard earned money to see his show and elbowed a friend into going with me. I don't think that being in the music business makes you a public slave. You personal life should still be yours. However, I also don't think it makes your time more valueable than anyone elses. Show a little respect for your fans, for your fellow man, and don't make them wait for hours on end.

I may still go when he rolls in on the 15th. I like the music enough to shell out the dough, I guess, but only if I bring a book to kill time and make sure my boss is perfectly alright with me coming in late on Friday.

Maybe if I hadn't been exposed to hard-working bands like Digby, I would be accustomed to rudeness from musicians, but I know from experience that musicians can have talent and still be good guys. If Digby made it big, I wouldn't expect them to really remember me much (don't really know them well), but I feel pretty certain that they would still be good guys and not act as if everyone else's time was theirs to flush like tp. Well, I'll keep the old "benefit of doubt" dangling out there. Maybe he had a migraine or ate too many white castles. Heck, maybe he had a panic attack. I doubt it, but who knows. A "sorry I took so long" would have been something, though.

my thoughts on his last show

3 Comments:

Blogger Mindy said...

I hate it when musicians are rude and inconsiderate. And have a lot of respect for those that aren't. At the Big Day Out in New Zealand, which is the only big music festival we have that gets big name international acts The Strokes were too drunk to complete there set, I think they played for about 15 or 20 minutes. Now the tickets to this are not cheap and there would have been a lot in the crowd who paid and travelled just to see the Strokes so it annoys me immensely that they acted so poorly. In a happy turn of events I got a lot more respect for Metallica who came on early because of the Strokes departure from the Stage and played an extended set... how rare is that, a band not only not making you wait, but starting early!

8:40 PM  
Blogger TwistedNoggin said...

deck80: sorry to see you have no blog to check out. I wondered what part of Italy you were from. I've been to Florence and Rome. I wish I could go back. What a place! Beautiful, fascinating... and the best food on the planet. :)

Mindy: I hope Metallica pummelled the strokes a bit backstage for that one.

10:28 AM  
Blogger brad said...

as a performing musician i must stick up for my fellow brethren on one account. i don't know the situation at the particular gig you speak of but lots of time the venue will make you wait until there's a sizeable crowd to play to; and this can and has taken hours before.
i'll have people staring me down and glaring- even other bands or band members giving dirtly looks and getting upset- we want to get this over with just as much as you want to see it but if we're forced to wait, you too must pay the price.
now, i won't stick up for anyone too intoxicated to give their best performance possible. that is definitely bad form and should be called out for what it is. we like our drink and we all have our personal vices we must go to to put us in the performance mode but when you put the party before the show, you don't have your priorities in the proper place and should take a step back and realize what it is you're doing with your life.

1:13 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home